Thursday, October 25, 2007

Think About the Good Things, Think About the Bad Things, Think About the Right Things, Think About the Wrong Things

I am eminently concerned with the imminent death of our community.

As of this posting, 12 of the 21 persons I link to in this space have not posted in at least a month, most of them far exceed that figure.

This has made me somewhat sad of late, but now worse things are happening:

Fraser (No link... because he has no more blog) simply disappeared as of a week or two ago. I notice that no one else has posted on this, so maybe I've been left out of why.

Hurley has officially resigned. She'll be pulling the page down in a week she says. So someone can notify me when that link goes dead.

We vied briefly for control of the blogging empire that we'd pulled unwillingly from the keyboards of our friends. Maybe she's done the right thing in pulling the plug now. I can't bear to see this thing die, though.

Have the blogs of the Super Friends really turned into guises for meaningful relationships. Maybe they have. Whenever I leave a comment on a post, I am exercising the relationship I have with the poster. But I don't leave very many comments anywhere anymore.

Nora and Carl haven't blogged in a year. Shame on them. Ben, the Super Friend who didn't come camping, hasn't managed a full-length post since September. Blake, Ellen, and I keep it going, but maybe none of us have the time anymore. Of late, mine and Ellen's posts for the most part consist of travelogues, while Blake's consist of a mish-mash of Youtube postings. Should I really expect people to interact meaningfully when all I can write about is "I went out and got drunk and didn't get laid", again?

On the other hand, I don't think my commentary has changed that much since my first days. I still put care into the posts I write. I still try and make them funny enough to be worth reading. I remember the days when my posts could garner 5 or 6 comments the day they were put out. Now, if comment levels are any indication, I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 people visiting this blog (commenting or not) in a week.

I'll keep typing if you'll keep reading.

Of course, this post sort of discounts the RCG. You all seem to be doing well and fine, and I try to comment on your blozor whenever I feel I have anything relevant to add. You guys (or at least Granite and Binks) preceded us, and will likely outlive us all.

To quote myself, "I don't know what to say".

And that seems like a good place to stop.

18 comments:

Danger said...

I do enjoy reading your blog Liam!

It's midterm time right now though, and with Donning and me being a poor manager of my time I don't sit down and blog enough.

I had big news this week too, it's just un-blog-about-able right now, and I'm also seriously sleep deprived. I've had 15 hours in the last 4 nights.

Bedtime.

But I do read your blog, the day it comes out, I just don't comment as much.

Maranatha said...

That is good to know. I suppose I do the same to you.

Unknown said...

I guess for me, I'm just not really sure what to comment on, generally.

Like you said, your blogs of late have become mostly travel logs - which is fine, I find them a perfectly enjoyable read, I just don't know how to contribute to them through comments.

It IS tough though, when people don't leave comments and you don't really know if anyone's reading.

JGrant said...

For my part, I check everyone's blog on a daily basis. Sometimes, I cannot read everything in one sitting (when Binkle posts, it is like he fires a tommy gun. A million posts on different topics hit me in the face and I go blind).

I always read your posts Liam, and try my best to comment. But - as Binkle said - it is difficult to chime in when you think what you are saying is irrelevant to the discussion.

MTOD said...

I always read your blog, despite the fact that I'm not supposed to, I just rarely comment as I feel I have nothing useful to contribute. I don't post myself simply because I don't have time, but perhaps in the near future I will start again. (PS there may be a new note awaiting you shortly..)

Maranatha said...

Well that has reaffirmed my purpose a little bit.

Thank you all.

Binks and Granite: It's good to know you guys check often. I try and get on 2-3 times per week, but I also don't put out too many comments over your way.

M-TOD: When are you going? Back in September Nora and I were saying that you and I should both come down together next time. I'm booked up for a few weekends to come, though, so let me know when you're planning on making the trip. Even if we don't end up going together we'll probably end up on the same train back to this end of Ontario.

Wolfgang said...

I think im a little sad that my lack of blogging wasn't mentioned.

Maranatha said...

Yes it was. You were one of the Illustrious 12.

/\sh said...

I read your blog... no one reads mine though.. it's a little sad... however I could always publish it as memoirs in a get rich quick scheme sometime in the distant future.

preferably before I host the end of the world party on Dec 21st 2012

Maranatha said...

Wow... That couldn't possibly be because you never told me you had one.

n00b

/\sh said...

:P it's not that cool anyway

MTOD said...

Well I was planning on being at Nora's this weekend as I was supposed to be in T.O. on Friday night, but plans fell through and I will no longer be there. So I guess it won't be as soon as previously thought.

Maranatha said...

That's too bad...

I won't be able to make it for a few weeks anyway, though.

Why can't you just go to TO on your own on Friday? You're a big girl.

Anonymous said...

Truly inspiring post Liam. You've sparked a newfound motivation for myself to contribute more to the community.

I've already sparked new initiatives on niamu.com

Cheers!

Wolfgang said...

http://worldofwolfgang.blogspot.com/

INTRODUCING POST!

Ben said...

I'm not posting out of petty spite.

For not reason, really. just because I aimlessly hate you so much.

Now I don't.

Maranatha said...

Does that mean that you're going to post more now?

Unknown said...

I do not have a tattoo.